The Super Nintendo, or SNES is my favorite system of all time and it’s easy to see why. It has a list of games that any system would die to have. Zelda, Metroid and Mario all made outstanding appearances, and the competition with the Genesis brought out the best in Nintendo.
I’ve made this list many times in my head before, but this is the first time I’ve written it down with the reasons why. Remember, this is my list. You will probably be disappointed with some choices, but I’ll give you my reasons for making them! (Sorry - no screenshots for each game… I’ll let you use your imagination!)
9. Donkey Kong Country
8. Super Mario World
7. Mega Man X 2
My only disappointment is the final battle wish Sigma, which is much easier then X or X3. Actually, the other two games are a lot harder too.
6. Super Mario RPG
Having Mario team up with Bowser and even the Princess was also a nice twist. Mario ended up being Squares silent protagonist, and it suited him well. Whenever he agreed with someone he would do his traditional jump. It’s the second best RPG on the SNES in my opinion.
5. A Link to the Past
Boss battles are some of the best I’ve seen. Along with the level designs and strategy involved with your inventory. The subtle touches like rain falling or shadows from the trees were something we hadn’t seen in video games before. What stand out most though, is the thrill of getting that next item, figuring out what you could do with it, and utilizing it in battle. Zelda was always good at pulling this formula off.
4. Yoshi’s Island
3. Secret of Mana
2. Super Metroid
The music is also something that sets this game apart. Any game that can create an atmosphere of uncertainty and loneliness, but still keep the player excited and engaged is an amazing achievement.
1. Chrono Trigger
- Zeal. Quite simply the best area in any video game.
- Those 2 or 3 epic boss fights when the music shifts to an even more intense arrangement. This happened during the Masamune, Tyrano and Son of Sun fights.
- Bringing Chrono back to life.
- THE ENDINGS!
- + games. Made replaying the game so much more fun when you’re at full strength from the beginning.
- The triple techs… So awesome to watch.
- Being able to SEE your enemies… none of that random encounter stuff.
- Finally, the simplistic story and personalities are what make this game truly shine.